his+hers: making dinner


Although I make most of our meals, Q is so helpful in the kitchen and we've had some fun adventures in cooking together. Right after we got married we were excited to make an indulgent meal from my Barefoot Contessa cookbook one night - steaks with fried onion rings - and ended up burning the oil, setting off the smoke detectors in our tiny apartment (so embarrassing), and scorching our pan black. I may have cried...

Last month, we tried frying again for the first time and it was a success. We made fish n' chips (with fresh wild caught cod). Q fried the fish and potato slices, and I made ramen noodle coleslaw to go alongside. It felt like take-out at home - one of our best meals yet! We made it again later that week. Here are links to the recipes if you'd like: beer battered fish; ramen noodle slaw.

(His + Hers is a weekly series that Brooke (from Pure & Noble) and I started as a way of sharing random peeks into our daily lives. Feel free to join in on your own blog if you'd like!)

12 comments:

k said...

i like this series a lot - and it's cool that you guys cook together! i feel thankful that mark is very willing to help me although he's not always the best cook :)

Kayla Poole said...

oh girl, the smoke detector going off is common occurrence around these parts,too. Lucky for me, Tiho is a phenomenal chef...like really really good, and I mostly eat whatever he decides to whip up on any given night.

angie said...

these look so good and fresh!

Colleen / Inspired to Share said...

So cute! Cooking is fun to do together...it's also wonderful when hubs makes me food : )

Kirsten @ Triple Max Tons said...

Ummm at least your hubby cooks...mine thinks putting a frozen pizza in the oven is "making" dinner, and that and pouring jarred marinara over pasta is getting prepping a very "gourmet" meal. Needless to say, I do 99% of the cooking. I have tried so many times to get him involved in the kitchen to no success...any tips?!

Alessandra said...

this is such a lovely series! and both your dishes look so yummy!

Alena: Oh, Its Just Perfect! said...

This looks so delicious and beautiful photographs!

Amanda said...

If you don't have a kitchen fail story like that, you have never cooked. I have several. :)

Those fried cod fillets look so so tasty. Thanks for linking up those recipes too.

Unknown said...

Yes! My husband and I wanted to make sweet potato fritters to take to a party last week but something told me not to! We're gonna make it happen though, when there's no pressure on us. And I can't wait to fry things up that are freshly caught - this all sounds so delicious!

Gloria said...

I'm weirdly afraid of deep frying in the kitchen - all that hot oil + Murphy's Law freaks me out! I think I need to get over it though because this fish looks super scrumptious

Claire Gibson King said...

yummy! My husbad does all the cooking...I am so lucky. The first meal
(tacos) I made for him was a total disaster...I burned the shells heating in the oven, the smoke alarm went off and well...that was the end of that!

Tash said...

Yumm, fish n' chips! Looks like you and your hubs cook well together which is great!

Post a Comment