diy twine light (finished!)



We finally finished that DIY twine light and wow, it actually worked! Maybe it's because I let it dry for, oh, three months while it sat in our front closet. The neutral colors in the room make it hard to photograph because they blend together in photos, but in real life it's definitely more defined, and also a whole lot less perfect looking. But that's okay, I love our slightly lopsided, $5 twine light because we made it from scratch. I also never want to make one again.



Above is the photo I shared before of it in progress. I thought it might need more layers of twine to make it sturdier, but it was a huge mess before so I didn't feel like doing more. So I crossed my fingers and deflated the bouncy ball. And the twine didn't collapse! Then we used a cord kit from Ikea and a plate thingy from Lowe's to hang it (after a previous failed attempt at hanging it with fishing wire and thumbtacks...classy). Here is another view of it in our living room...



Have you tried making one of these before? Mine is definitely far from "perfect" in real life so don't be discouraged if yours doesn't look like the photos you've seen of these everywhere. I actually felt ten times better about mine once I took photos of it and noticed that most of the defects are hardly noticeable, just like the pictures I'd seen! Another example of how real life is never as perfect as it can seem in photos on blogs or in magazines.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!

postcards and pretties said...

so cool!! I must try this!!

Alicia Clinton said...

so cute! it looks great, Alli. good job!:)

Gina_AcuteDesigns said...

It looks amazing! I so want to try this but don't think I have the patience :)

Julie {love, julie} said...

it looks perfect in all these photos, I would be happy if mine came out looking anything like this!

satsuki | zakka nouveau said...

oh my goodness!! this is AMAZING!!!! can't believe it's DIY! the imperfectness of handmade things gives it warmth~ love it!!

Kayla Poole said...

Major props to you, Alli! I don't think I'd ever have the patience to do something like this.

OneCraftyFox said...

Wow, looks amazing!

heather j @ olive & a said...

It looks great! You made me laugh when you said you never want to make one again. I can only imagine.

Claire Gibson King said...

ohh it looks great!! Well done!

k said...

wow i am super impressed, i think it looks so good! i already know that i pry don't have the patience to actually make it though..

Unknown said...

Wow! Color me impressed. Seriously.

Gloria said...

i knew you'd finish it! it looks great - totally worth the effort, right? :-)

Tash said...

Looks beautiful to me! I'm thinking mine wouldn't come out nearly as nice as yours, great job!

jaclyn @ thelateafternoon said...

your pennant lamp turned out wonderfully! the natural color of the twine is so pretty!

Kimia Kline said...

I love this post for so many reasons. :) Congratulations on finishing your beautiful diy project! It looks so wonderful in your home! And here's to thumb tacks and fishing wire...the staples of my at home decoration attempts. :)

Bethany Suckrow said...

This makes me laugh, mostly because after your last post about this every time I saw a photo of one I was reminded that nothing is as perfect and easy as it may seem, and that's okay. Glad it worked, though! Looks great from the photo. ;)

Allison {Live Love Small} said...

way cool! totally impressed as i don't think i should even attempt with my skills...;)

caroline said...

pretty! I've seen martha stewart make this on a christmas special show before and I mentally made a note to try it since it was so pretty.

Kaira said...

impressive! so great!

Lisa Maria said...

This is such a cool idea! It looks so great in your home. I might have to try this soon...

Colleen / Inspired to Share said...

Awesome, Alli! Great job, it looks perfect in the space!! : )

Anonymous said...

It looks so amazing I've always want to make one of these but never actually tried :) Now I think you bring me back my passion.

Greetings holiday apartment london

Devon M said...

love this!

Anonymous said...

just wondering what materials you used, and what you used to stiffen the twine?
thanks!

alli/hooray said...

Anonymous, I think we used tacky glue...here is a link to the guide we used: http://www.craftynest.com/2009/03/hemp-pendant-lamps/

Post a Comment