industrial chic



When I'm trying to explain craft/design related ideas to Q (topics he has little interest in), it helps to make analogies. Here's an example of how I'd discuss "industrial chic" with my husband:
me: industrial and feminine make such a beautiful design combination.
Q: industrial and feminine what?
me: just, industrial things paired with feminine things.
Q: ok.
me: they balance and complement one another.
Q: mhm.
me: like salty paired with sweet.
Q: ah.
me: like... candied bacon?
Q: ohh! Amazing, then.
(Perfect example of how it works :-)
Aside from analogies, I really am enamored with this combination. Utilitarian, rustic, industrial elements complimented by soft, feminine, whimsy details...


sweets + pink paired w/vintage storage (via style me pretty)


yellow & butterflies paired w/utilitarian bike & books (via pink wallpaper)


pink stripes & gold cord, on restaurant tea towels (via 100 layer cake)


pink & white paired w/kraft paper (via simplesong)

A few favorite spots for an industrial, feminine (or both) fix: 100 Layer Cake, {this is glamorous}, simplesong, the haystack needle, Sunday Suppers.

(top photo: purl soho via martha stewart)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

just tell him they go together like "lamb and tuna fish"... he'll get it.

my2fish

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

beautiful images!

urban flea said...

great post as always! just so you know, i recently added you as a banner link over at urban flea, i'd love for you to swing by sometime and check it out. hope you're having a wonderful week my dear!

xo urban flea :)
http://www.urbanfleadesign.net

Heather said...

i giggled at your conversation! :) I love feminine paired with masculine pieces-whether in fashion, crafts or design. It is such a lovely mix. Have a great weekend dear friend!
-Heather

Engracia said...

This is me, down to a T. I've been trying to work out my design style after reading Lona de Anna blog post recently and you have nailed it for me Alli. Thanks.
I just love all these images and I adore all those blogs as well. I have had similar conversations with my hubby. It really is funny how the sexes think isn't it?
Have a great weekend.
Cheers
Engracia

OneCraftyFox said...

There are so many chic boutiques like this where I live, I love strolling into these places.

jen jafarzadeh said...

Alli, I somehow missed this post and laughed out loud when I just read it. My husband and I have had a similar kind of conversation about industrial feminine/industrial chic style. He's such a sport to let me ramble on about industrial finds I love. and thanks for including me in this great list!

Post a Comment