inspired by: noah webster house


Q and I visited Henry Ford's Greenfield Village yesterday and I found myself hugely inspired by the home of Noah Webster (you know, that guy who wrote the dictionary!). Neither of us have been to the Village since our field trip days in elementary school, so it was fun to explore the whole place again and step inside American history for an afternoon.

This is the house Noah Webster retired in with his family back in the 1820s, and although I'm not sure which furnishings are original to the home, it was still interesting to see all of the different patterns and colors on the walls, floors, and furniture.


The mint green room above was one of the main living areas, and the yellow "brick" wallpaper lined the hallway leading upstairs. A guy next to me kept saying how awful it looked but I kind of liked it. This blue room was at the top of the stairs and I loved that wallpaper pattern.


This geometric rug may have been my favorite thing...


Another bedroom had this pretty green wallpaper and lots of bird + botanical prints, along with a gorgeous canopy bed (is it weird that I thought this looked like something out of Domino?). Also, I loved this huge colorful rug, and a bedroom with gingham curtains.


This last shot is actually from Edison's house but I loved the wallpaper patterns in there too! I have a ridiculous amount of photos, so I'll be sharing another post soon with design inspiration from other parts of the Village.

14 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow! Some of the elements really do look modern! Wonderful photos.

Anonymous said...

Oh, please do post more photos and recommendations! I would like to plan a trip there this summer!

Unknown said...

the front of that house is just beautiful!!!
xo, ashley {a little dash of ash}

Heather J said...

I agree, it's amazing how some things look so current. I had the same thought about the canopy bed and domino. Thanks for sharing Mr. Webster's home.

caroline said...

look at all that natural light! gorgeous photos!

Kate Storey-The Henry Ford said...

Such beautiful pictures! With the lighting and the way you photographed everything, I would have to agree - it does look very much like a Domino feature! (Oh, how I miss that magazine...)

Thank you so much for visiting, and for sharing with everyone here! Hope you can visit again soon!

nanne said...

amazing! that home could be in a shelter magazine today and look totally modern/traditional. i cannot get over how the wallpaper and the rugs remind me of dominoe mag...

gorgeous!

nanne in indiana by way of alabama
http://twosistersonesummer.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

So many great patterns throughout!

Kimia Kline said...

that apple green room just stole. my. heart. oh my goodness! so inspired to go off and paint something that color :)

Kayla Poole said...

the light and color is amazing. I would be in heaven, too.

Alena: Oh, Its Just Perfect! said...

That rug is amazing. It looks like something you might spot at Urban Outfitters! The outside of the home is gorgeous too.

Erin Lian said...

I can't believe the botanical and bird prints, it is beautiful!! I enjoyed having a sneaky peak around this house, thank you :)
<3

Ali said...

Ah these photos are so light and airy! l-o-v-e!

Colleen / Inspired to Share said...

SUCH a great idea to visit places again from field trip days! I just know they would look entirely different to me now.

Post a Comment